100 percent solids polyurethane raw materials for 2K adhesives
Polyurethanes are ideal raw materials for adhesives. They have a strong adhesion to several substrates and their physical properties can be tuned for individual applications. Formulations with polyol and polyisocyanate components that don’t use solvents make them even more attractive.
Polyurethanes are prepared from polyols and polyisocyanates. Each component contributes different processing, application and final performance properties to polyurethane adhesives.
With the comprehensive range of 100 percent solids polyols and polyisocyanates from Covestro, adhesive formulators can develop two-component (2K) nonsolvent, solventborne and waterborne systems. The formulations can be made with properties to match most adhesive applications. Our raw materials include:
- Aromatic and aliphatic polyisocyanate crosslinkers
- Hydrophilic and blocked polyisocyanates
- Water-reducible polyisocyanates
- Polyether, polyester and polycarbonate polyols
Desmodur® and Bayhydur® polyisocyanates, and Arcol® , Desmophen®, Acclaim® and Baycoll®, polyols are used to formulate soft, low modulus construction joint sealants or rigid, high-strength adhesives.
Two-component adhesives formulated with our polyol and polyisocyanate building blocks provide:
- Good adhesion to a wide variety of substrates
- High bond strength
- Good resistance to heat and weathering
- Resistance to chemicals, moisture and hydrolysis
- Tunable flexibility