Enhancing initial bond strength
Pergut® chlorinated rubber for solventborne contact adhesives
When large-area non-porous substrates need to be bonded, contact adhesives are preferred because the adhesive is dry before bonding. Fast-drying Pergut® chlorinated rubber products from Covestro offer solventborne contact adhesives with improved initial bond strength.
The polymers used to formulate contact adhesives bond strongly to themselves. As a result, contact adhesives have high initial bond strength. Contact adhesives are preferred for large-area bonding applications.
Applications include the automated assembly of wide-area laminates, such as counter tops, building panels, furniture, and side panels of recreational vehicles.
Our Pergut® powdered chlorinated rubber polymers are ideal for the formulation of solventborne contact adhesives with following benefits:
- Easy to use (one-component systems)
- Fast drying
- High initial bonding strength
- High polarity for the promotion of adhesion between rubber and metal
- Wide compatibility with many solvents
- High resistance to corrosion, water, chemicals and salts
- Resistant to weather and other environmental influences
- Resistant to bacteria, mold and fungi
- Long-term storage stability
Pergut® polymers are produced from polyisoprene and polybutadiene in varying molecular weights and viscosities. They contain between 64.5 percent and 67 percent chlorine and have a density of 1.6 g/cm3.
Our proprietary manufacturing process guarantees that Pergut® chlorinated rubber products have an extremely low carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) content of < 0.005 percent by weight (< 50 ppm) and comply with global regulatory requirements.