Desmoseal® prepolymers for low-VOC elastic sealants and adhesives
Today, formulators of sealants and adhesives are looking for raw material solutions that provide high-performance products with improved environmental profiles. Desmoseal® polyurethane prepolymers from Covestro do just that.
Desmoseal® S silane-terminated polyurethanes (STPs) combine the benefits of a polyurethane backbone with a silane-based curing mechanism.
These polyurethane prepolymers are terminated by a unique tri-functional alkoxy-silane end group. This combination allows elastic sealants and flexible adhesives to be formulated without, solvents or labeling. The adhesives and sealants offer excellent cohesive strength and good adhesive properties.
With their unique properties, Desmoseal® prepolymers are used to formulate hybrid, one-component (1K), moisture-curing products with a wide range of performance characteristics. These characteristics include:
- Low-modulus sealants with high elongation
- Structural adhesives with high hardness and high tensile strength
- Good adhesion to different substrates (in many cases without primer) combined with good cohesive and elastic properties
- Good adhesive strength
- Good elastic recovery
- Excellent mechanical properties
- Bubble-free curing, even in thick layers
- High reactivity (reduced need for catalyst)
- Good additive compatibility
- Easily dilutable with various solvents
Desmoseal® polyurethane prepolymers are used to formulate sealants and adhesives for construction, transportation and other industrial applications.
Covestro also offers Desmoseal® M, an aromatic polyurethane prepolymer based on diphenylmethane diisocyanate, for the formulation of 1K polyurethane sealants.